Where to How to Summer Camp or How to Create Your Own
Now is the time to look for those perfect, affordable summer camps for our kiddos.
Here is a wonderful directory provided by the National Association for Gifted Children to get you started.
Also, if summer camp is too pricey, think about putting together your own “camp”. For instance, my son loves robotics and computer technology, so we are organizing our own Robo-Tech camp with a few other children using kits from Amazon and free online programs. Some of the resources that we will be using are:
- Renewable Energy Resources Textbook/Workbook (free, tvakids.com)
- Scratch (MIT Computer Programming/Video Game Design Software; free)
- Erector Multi-Model Construction Set by Erector $22.99 (Includes materials for 6 Models)
- Elenco Snap Circuits Green – Alternative Energy Kit $43.66 (125 alternative energy projects included)
- Elenco Electronic Playground 50-in-one $18.71
- Thames and Kosmos Air+Water Power $32.11 (Includes materials for 15 models)
We will also be gardening, swimming, playing outside, playing chess, visiting museums and workshops, watching films, cooking, and feeding the homeless. It should be an exciting summer and I am sure that you and your little ones will attend or create a program just as exciting. If your daughter likes fashion, maybe you can create a two-week fashionista camp where she studies design drawing, color combinations, basic sewing skills, and finishes with a project or fashion show. Be creative and have fun.
I hope that this was helpful.